The giant Korean steel company POSCO comes in for some trenchant criticism from the national Today Tonight team on Channel 7 over the methods used to purchase prime agricultural land for coal exploration in the Southern Highlands of NSW.
The NSW Upper House Inquiry into Coal seam Gas heard about the mounting civil disobedience by normally conservative farmers across the State…and the backdown of gas giant Santos in the Liverpool Plains.
Here is a interesting new article the ABC has released regarding CSG.
Attached are extracts from yesterday’s 7:30 Report on the Coal and Gas Mining issues in the Southern Highlands.
Come to our OUR LAND, OUR WATER, OUR FUTURE Rally in Corbett Gardens, Bowral on Saturday, November 19 at 11am to hear more about the way insidious mining practices are creeping across our beautiful country and could affect YOU in the Southern Highlands. Alan Jones will MC and we will have a raft of distinguished speakers from around the country.
Action is heating up across NSW regarding the contentious issues of Coal
and Coal Seam Gas mining. Politicians are being placed on notice that
communities will not tolerate uncontrolled expansion of these industries
with the impacts on our water resources, agricultural land, the
environment and landowners across Australia.
The pressure is on the NSW Coalition government to deliver on their pre-election promises to introduce a Strategic Regional Land Use Planning process, Aquifer Interference Legislation, Agricultural Impact Statements and new Planning rules. Progress has been slow and the jury is still out regarding the outcomes…but we can’t let the government off the hook. In the meantime we have our own battles to fight on the ground!
For the rest of the newsletter please follow the link for the pdf download.
“The inherent risks of coal mining to the environment are well known. Evidence now points to the high price that coal workers, their families and the communities they live in are paying in health costs, not to mention the government’s health budget. Nyema hermiston investigates…”
For the rest of the article please follow the link below.
- Al Jazeera video on the CSG industry in Australia.
- Subsidence risks farmland.
- Blockade ordered to end - Southern Highlands News Story
- Only 6 minutes but really important. We have the same thing happening here with CSG.
- World class studs face dark coal mine crisis.
- 94 year old Ken O'hara fights for the Southern Highlands.
- The township of Bulga has had a win since this article was written a year ago !!!!
- Alan Jones talks about the win for the town of Bulga this week in the Land and Environment court.
- Cockatoo coal worst junior coal miner.
- Article from the UK Guardian. 'Trying to buy time until the world wakes up".