Dear Members and Supporters,
You now have a very important opportunity to have your say on the threat to the Southern Highlands from Coal Seam Gas.
We’d like you to take the time to put in a submission, even if it is
only a brief one, to the NSW Upper House Inquiry into coal seam gas.
Submissions have to be in by September the 7th.
Your submissions do not have to be long they will be just as effective if they are simple and personal stories relating to how you feel about the issues.
Here are some important points to consider when making your submission.
1. The potential damage and or pollution of ground water and surface water ( i.e. aquifers, rivers and dams) and also the issues related to the extraction and disposal of very large volumes of contaminated water from the coal seam. Note also water catchment for Sydney.
2. The environmental risks to our farmland, bushland and communities.
3. The surface impact from Coal Seam Gas infrastructure. Processing facilities, pipelines, compressor stations, roads, water management facilities.
4. Our inability to deny land access to a miner under NSW law. Divisions in communities where individual landholders have granted access without reference to neighbours and communities.
5. Impact on land values which have already been significant.
6. Protection of our productive agricultural land.
7. The need for all chemicals used in coal seam gas drilling or fracking to be assessed and approved by the chemical regulator.
8. The need for rigorous and independent assessment into the impacts of coal seam gas.
You can also see details of the inquiry at:
To submit your concerns please follow the link below:
To put in writing please use this address
General Purpose Standing Committee No. 5
Sydney NSW 2000
Fax: (02) 9230 2981